Monday, November 5, 2012

Happiest of Birthdays to my Love!

So today is a special day.  It is the day my husband was born.  I am so lucky that today I get to spend time crafting him a cake.  I scoured the internet for the perfect cake to craft but I kept coming back to the tried and true southern staple, Red Velvet Cake.  I knew that Bakerella was the woman I needed to trust on this one as I don't have a "Family Recipe"!  You can find the recipe I used here.  I did not remember that I was sharing this until everything was mixed and I broke my Whisk.  I am kind of sad about this as it is the only whisk I had!


{You can see the rouge whisk part there on the left!}

The recipe recommends greasing and flouring the cake rounds but I am not a big fan of  cleaning up the flour that will end up EVERYWHERE.  I use a little cheat thanks to Pam.  They have a baking spray that is the grease and flour combined in a no mess (relative term) spray can.


{Baking Pam Spray smells SO good!!}

After I sprayed the pans I scooped the batter into them as equally as I could.  Then I dropped the pans flat on the counter a few times to make all the air bubbles rise up and out!  Then into the oven they go for 30 minutes.


{See you soon my pretties!}

My house smells so good right now!  I can barely stand it!  I am excited to get to work on the Cream Cheese Frosting!  While I am waiting though for dinner tonight we are having Steak, baked potatoes, garlic bread and a salad!  Hope there will be room for cake!


{Hope it tastes as good as it looks}

I finally got a clean toothpick after 40 minutes. I let them cool completely and I made the frosting in the mean time.  Delicious creamy Cream Cheese Heaven!  Here is the ingredient Line up....Buter, Cream Cheese, Vanilla, and Confectioners Sugar.


{Ingredients for Heaven}

Make sure everything is room temperature.  Cream together the butter and cream cheese.  Add Vanilla.  Then gradually add the sugar.....They mean gradually!


{Let the Dust Storm Begin!}

As you can see I did not believe the gradual part.....I did however quickly learn!  This frosting is so thick and yummy.


{Messy Frost Job}

I always put my cake on the cake stand and then place wax paper under the cake so I can make the biggest mess ever and then once the paper is removed you will never know!


{Cake Concealer}

I spooned the rest of the frosting into a zip loc bag so I could pipe around the base and on the top for the finishing touches!


{Finished Product}

I think it turned out pretty good!  Especially since this is only the second layer cake I have ever made!  Now I have to wait patiently until my love comes home to have a slice!

Hope you all have a wonderful Monday!!

Happy Birthday John!  I Love You!

XOXO,

H.








No comments:

Post a Comment